WFMD Local News


Two Wholesale Diamond Robbery Suspects Indicted

Two Wholesale Diamond Robbery Suspects Indicted

Indictments were handed down on Friday to two Baltimore men arrested for the March 12th armed robber of Wholesale Diamond Consultants on Buckeystown Pike in Frederick. Grand Jurors indicted Charles Anthony Boatwright, 44, and Anthony Tyrone Thornton, 46, for armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, 1st-degree assault, 2nd-degree assault, reckless endangerment and theft between $10,000 and $100,000.

State's Attorney Charlie Smith says both men walked into the store at around 10:45 AM. "While one of the Wholesale Diamond Consultants employees was showing another couple a large diamond, he {Boatwright} walked up to him, presented a small, silver revolver to him, and threatened him. And then was able to abscond with just under $100,000 worth of diamonds as well as $250 in cash," says Smith.

Authorities say the two customers in the store remained calm throughout the robbery, and left in the same direction as Boatwright and Thornton. Investigators believe they were part of the scheme.

The Sheriff's Office arrested Boatwright about an hour after the robbery at the Westview Promenade shopping center. Deputies found Thornton at a nearby gas station a few hours later. "Actually, Mr. Thornton showed up later on to recover some diamonds that they had thrown in a garbage can. That's how they apprehended him," says Smith. Authorities also recovered a handgun from a dumpster that is  believed to have been used in the robbery.

Also indicted on Friday was Harry Burton Keller, 46, of Frederick. He's charged with arson threat, possession of incendiary materials with intent to create a destructive device, attempted 1st-degree arson, 2nd-degree arson, and four counts of reckless endangerment. He was arrested on March 9th for attempting to burn his house down by using a portable heater attached to a propane cylinder. Fire and rescue officials say no fire actually occurred. Police say Keller had a dispute with other residents of the home.

Now that indictments have been handed down, the cases will be forwarded to Circuit Court, where trials could take place within six months.


More Articles